Medjool Dates Stuffed with K4 Cultured Garlic, Mint & Feta
by Chef Linz Hart-MacDiarmid
The best kind of probiotics are the ones that come dressed in a bed of something sticky and sweet, layered with creamy saltiness, complex savoury tones and a refreshing bite. These Stuffed Medjool Dates redefine what it means to add probiotics into our lives, adding a much-needed dose of class. Forget the gelatine capsule, get these in you instead!
- 20 Medjool Dates
- 20-30 fresh mint leaves
- 1 block of salty feta (sheep or goat cheese)
- 3 tbsp K4 Kombucha Vinegar
- K4 Cultured Garlic Cloves, sliced into 40-50 thin slivers
- Crushed black peppercorns
- With a sharp knife, cut down one side of the fresh Medjool dates and carefully de-stone them. Set 4-5 aside for pureeing.
- Depending on the size of the mint leaves you have, insert 1 large or 2 small fresh mint leaves into the cut made in each date.
- Take the feta and 3 tablespoons of K4 Kombucha Vinegar and blend together. Spoon the tangy cheese into the cut in each date, on top of or beside the mint leaf; whichever you prefer.
- Place 2-3 slivers of K4 Cultured Garlic Cloves on the top of each date.
- Cover the remaining fresh dates with boiling water for 30 seconds, then drain immediately. Blend with a generous serving of black pepper, then spoon a small amount of puree on top of each stuffed date. Serve on a beautiful plate.
These Medjool dates work wonders as a snack for large groups of people, whether that's a posh get-together or just a relaxed drink with your mates. Got a couple left over from the night before? Keep them in the fridge and you can have them as a midday snack the following day. These probiotic beauties can do casual, too.
When selecting Medjool dates take a little extra time to make sure they are intact, lovely and moist and without any blemishes. This will help to ensure that these bite-size mouthfuls of heaven are just right. When storing Medjool dates pop them straight into the fridge inside an airtight container to make sure that they retain their moisture.
Nutritionally speaking Medjool dates are fantastic for a number of reasons. Firstly they will add a lot of fibre into your diet. Just four dates will contribute to over a quarter of your daily recommended requirement of fibre; which is an important aid in digestion and has a knock on effect to weight management. They are also a good source of potassium; a mineral that is required to build muscle, regulate your heart rate and fluid balance, it is also essential to the break down of carbohydrates.
Medjool dates contain niacin; an important vitamin is needed to break down food into energy, DNA production and nerve function. Vitamin B-6 brings up the rear in this nutritional benefit list aiding protein metabolism.
Next time you want the best probiotics, look no further than K4 Cultured Garlic wrapped up in this wonderfully sweet and nutritionally balanced food - the Medjool Date.